After much stewing and being angry, this shirt finally got finished. Its a mixed bag.
- Everyone always compliments it.
- The pin tucks look nice and allow for a blousy effect.
- The shoulders and body of the shirt fit really well and are very comfortable.
- I made the elastic in the cuffs too small, so its not really very comfortable to wear with the sleeves scrunched up.
- I had to hem it twice to get the length right and I’m not sure I love the length yet.
- The collar.. . URGH! It is completely not right. Since I had messed with the width of the neck, I didn’t want to just cut the collar stand straight from the pattern. In my infinite wisdom, I thought, “Eh, I’ll just make it using bias tape.” Its super wonky and lays all wrong, and I really really should have just laid the neck out and drafted a new collar stand. I didn’t know how to do that at the time. I learned how to later and haven’t had the patience to rip it out and re do it. But that is exactly what needs done.
- The placket: I didn’t sew it very well so part of the raw edge sticks out on the front near the hem. I just zig zagged over it with a short stitch in black thread. I’m sure no one else would ever notice it.
- I added a lot of width to the sleeves to make them flowy and blousy, and that turned out alright, but I should have added a good 3-4 inches in length.
Most of everything that I don’t like about it was my fault, stemming from inexperience. I finished this months ago, so thankfully I have moved on and learned from my mistakes.